Monday, June 17, 2024

Senate committee holds hearing on campaign finance legislation

A state Senate committee held a public hearing Wednesday to discuss campaign finance legislation that would remove many conditions which require individuals and political organizations to publicly disclose financial contributions and disbursements introduced earlier this week.

The bills would also allow lobbyists to make political contributions for a greater period of time than currently is allowed.

“The courts have ruled that [issue advocacy] is a free speech issue, and I’m very much an advocate for free speech, and for people being more participatory in their government,” state Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, and author of the bill, said in its defense.

Kevin Kennedy, director of the Government Accountability Board, said the bill only solidifies existing GAB policy into state law.

State Sen. Mark Miller, D-Monona, said the types of communication exempted by the legislation, such as political issue advertisements, could still be used to influence the outcome of an election in the same manner as a campaign advertisement.

Advertisements are exempt from publicly releasing information if they do not contain seven specific phrases listed by the GAB. Phrases such as “vote for,” “elect” and “support” require advertisements to report their funding and source.

Lisa Subeck, executive director of United Wisconsin, expressed her concerns over transparency in Wisconsin’s elections.

“[The legislation] loosens disclosure requirements regarding campaign spending by independent organizations—spending often referred to as ‘dark money,’” Subeck said.

The committee scheduled an executive session Thursday to vote on recommending the bills for the Senate’s consideration.