Alcohol Overlay District

The city’s Plan Commission approved a new Alcohol Overlay District and revised alcohol vendor definitions Monday.

Plan Commission approves Alcohol Overlay District

The Plan Commission approved the new Alcohol Overlay District with multiple changes recommended to the City Council in a meeting Monday.

The overlay district limits the number and type of alcohol vendors allowed on sections of State Street, University Avenue and Frances Street.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, co-sponsored the Madison General Ordinances amendments, which create the new district and change the definitions of alcohol vendor types.

“Historically, I’ve been one of the most critical individuals of [the Alcohol License District Overlay],” Resnick said. “What I’m excited about is this plan actually focuses on the true underlying problem, which is bad operators.”

City Food and Alcohol Policy Coordinator Mark Woulf mentioned the previous “substantial calls for service” to Club Majestic on King Street.

“One of the … most important factor[s] in calls for service is operation of individual establishments,” Woulf said.

Resnick also said the changes will promote more creative establishments for Madison’s entertainment district, especially live music for patrons under 21.

The Commission stressed finding a balance of “new, exciting businesses relying on alcohol sales” and protecting retail, which will likely be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Mary Carbine, Madison’s Central Business Improvement District executive director, said BID supports the overall new direction despite being more complicated than in the past.

“It’s more focused on specific licensing issues that affect health, safety and welfare in the overlay district,” Carbine said.

Sandi Torkildson, longtime owner of A Room of One’s Own Bookstore, approved of a majority of the Alcohol Zoning Law but said she believes Madison should set limits on the number of new alcohol licenses issued in any mixed-use commercial district.

Commissioner Michael Rewey raised concerns about “eliminating a positive type of establishment” by treating taverns and brewpubs in the same manner. He moved approval of the new laws with the amendment that brewpubs would be allowed in the overlay.

Ald. Ledell Zellers, District 2, also added three recommendations, including a yearly review of the overlay, clarifying the alcohol vendor definitions at the request of Madison Police Department and requiring that restaurant-nightclubs hold an entertainment license.

The Council will review the amendments in a public hearing April 8.