Temples—"Sun Structures"

Temples fall flat on debut album

With all of the hype from the U.K. for this considerably up-and-coming band, Temples is working to meet and exceed expectations. Temples bring back an old sound straight from the '70s that releases a feeling of nostalgia and a vibe to sit back and relax.

Temples recently released their debut album, Sun Structures. Although it is safe to say that this album was not a disappointment to those who long anticipated its arrival, it's not necessarily riveting either. Using a unique, more classic style, Temples had every opportunity to make this album stand out However, in the end it seems as though they fall slightly short.

That said, there are still plenty of moments throughout the album that rise above the rest. “Shelter Song,”the premier track of the album, has a catchy beat and a wistful mood that elegantly blend together to create a pleasant sing-along. Similarly, “The Golden Throne” takes a rocking vibe and a psychedelic voice to form a more modern approach to an older style.

Although the album as a whole isn't bad, the band shows no ability to switch up their sound throughout it. As the hour-length album crawls its way to the end, you can’t help but wonder if the songs are repeating themselves. After the first three tracks come to a close, the sound becomes redundant and, in many ways, dull.“Move with the Season” and “Colours to Life” pass by without a thought, not exactly the effect tracks should have on their listeners.

By and large, there is certainly room for the band to improve in the future. Sun Structures may not have met the high standards that were presumed by the band's fans, however, Temples has unquestionably established a sound that brings a much-needed flashback to the past. This album simply runs a bit flat.

Rating: B-