Monday, June 17, 2024
ASM 2/6/14

ASM Sustainability Chair Will Mulhern says he thinks the Green Fund will provide a much needed service to the UW campus.

Student Council approves Green Fund Bylaws

Associated Students of Madison approved the creation of Green Fund bylaws and standing rules legislation Wednesday, with a vote of 18-2 and one abstention.

The Green Fund is a grant distribution system for registered student organizations that propose green initiatives on campus. Some possible themes included increasing energy efficiency and creating more sustainable food sources, but project ideas are not limited to those listed in the legislation.

Student Council approved a total of $80,000 for the fund through the ASM Internal Budget in November.

“I think this is a really important part of campus,” Sustainability Chair Will Mulhern said.

Student groups can create a proposal for a grant through the Green Fund, although the process is very selective and specific, according to Shared Governance Chair Sarah Neibart.

“This is a competitive bidding process, and...ASM has already established that we’re valuing sustainability services to a higher level,” Neibart said.

A Green Fund Advisory Board will be established per the bylaws, and will decide which projects will be recommended to ASM Finance Committee for a grant.

Student Council made numerous amendments to clarify the bylaws, especially focusing on the organization of the GFAB and the numerical ranking scale.

One of the concerns was a lack of a time limit for project completion. The council decided to give the project two calendar years to finish.

“They should be able to accomplish what they want to accomplish in a timeline under which they are given money,” representative Jamie Wheeler said.

The GFAB will rate the projects based on eight criteria through a numerical ranking scale.The board ranks the proposed project on a scale of either one to 10 or one to 20 in the eight specific criteria. The highest ranked grants will receive money from the Green Fund.

The representatives expressed concern that the projects would go unnoticed on campus, though Student Services Finance Committee Chair David Vines said he believes the Green Fund projects will make an impact.

“There could be a project that is really impactful that students don’t directly notice … but it could still impact them and be quantifiable,” Vines said.