State Assembly passes bill eliminating Madison, Milwaukee living wages

The Wisconsin state Assembly approved a bill 56 to 37 Thursday eliminating local living wage mandates for Madison and Milwaukee workers.

Assembly Bill 750, introduced by Rep. Chris Kapenga, R-Delafield, overrides local mandates setting a living wage for government workers and contractors and prohibits residency requirements for laborers, workers, mechanics and truck drivers working on local projects for the public.

Living wage is defined as pay high enough for employees to support themselves.

Wisconsin law currently prevents city officials from creating a local living wage mandate unless the employee works for the county or city, works under contract for the city or is funded by financial assistance from the city. The bill eliminates this exemption.

Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, voted against the bill and said in a statement the bill comes at a time with a “historic wage gap between the wealthiest and every other Wisconsin worker.”

“Essentially, the Republican majority told local governments with living wage ordinances that they should use state funding to support low-income, no-benefit jobs that force workers onto public assistance, instead of requiring living wage jobs that lift workers out of poverty and support our economy,” Taylor said in the statement.

Taylor said the living wage requirements in Madison and Dane County have existed for almost 15 years.

“Contrary to the unsupported allegations of living wage opponents, living wages do not drive businesses away nor drive up unemployment,” Taylor said. “In fact, Madison and Dane county are economically thriving and lead the state in key economic indicators.”

“If successful, supporters of this measure will actually stifle our local economies and cut workers’ wages, rather than help our communities and workers thrive,” Taylor added.

The bill will now go to the Senate.