Monday, June 17, 2024

State adds $500,000 to Keep Wisconsin Warm and Cool Fund

Gov. Scott Walker announced in a release Friday the Department of Administration’s Division of Energy Services allocated $500,000 to the Keep Wisconsin Warm and Cool Fund.

KWWCF provides energy-related financial assistance to families in need in Wisconsin.

The $500,000, in addition to another $1 million released January 2014, will allow the KWWCF to change its eligibility requirements to benefit more citizens than it normally would. The money comes from the state’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, according to the release.

The move is part of continuing efforts to relieve the financial burden the recent national propane shortage has put on Wisconsin citizens this winter.

Walker said in the release the KWWCF “has been a valuable partner throughout the propane challenge. We are pleased they can leverage the additional support of the state to help address a segment of the population that clearly needs help.”

So far the fund has distributed $750,000 to citizens who would not have otherwise been eligible for benefits.

Walker also called on Wisconsin citizens and companies to donate to the fund, directing those who wish to contribute to the fund’s website.