SSFC_rec sports_2.18.14

SSFC approves Rec Sports’ 2014-’15 budget

The Division of Recreational Sports’ 2014-’15 budget was approved by Student Services Finance Committee Monday, which will lead to an $6 increase of student segregated fees per student per semester.

The budget, comprised of a total segregated fee allotment of $3,291,900, was approved with a vote of 7-0 with one abstention.

Director of Rec Sports John Horn said with the approval of Rec Sports’ 2014-’15 budget, the maximum segregated fee request in the future Recreational Sports Master Plan would be reduced to $102, as opposed to the previous $108.

The Wisconsin Union also presented its 2014-’15 budget, with a request of $17,703,500 in segregated fee revenues. The proposed budget features a $1.99 increase in segregated fees per student per semester, which is a total increase of $273,600 from this current year’s budget.

While segregated fees make up the majority of the Union budget, the Union also generates revenues through services both Memorial Union and Union South offer, such as the buildings’ food venues.

Associate Union Director Hank Walter said there was some uncertainty in compiling next year’s budget proposal, as many variables rely on a decision from the State Building Commission next month in regards to the Memorial Union Reinvestment.

“It was a challenging process for us,” Walter said, in terms of developing a realistic budget based off ambiguity in future plans for union construction. “It’s hard to know what exactly is going to happen.”

Though the state is not connected with funding the Union’s renovation, Walter said any university project must oversee plans, and ultimate approval must come from the state in order to commence construction.

Depending on the commission’s approval, the Union could see a start in renovations as early as next school year, with the central and east wings closing in the fall semester. However, delays with the state’s approval could postpone construction for two years or longer, Walter said.

Katie Carey, Student Project Manager for the Memorial Union Reinvestment, acknowledged the request of fees from students is large but said that all efforts made on behalf of the Unions are created with students in mind.

Carey said the budget developed by the Union is a “result of a commitment to keeping [segregated] fees low, to serving students fully and to being directed by students.”

SSFC will make a decision on the budget Feb. 24, after taking a facilities tour of the Unions this coming Thursday.