Evan Ønly—No Matter What

Record Routine: Debut EP fails to revitalize synth pop music

Evan Ønly’s attempt to recreate 1980s era synth pop is messy at best. When it comes down to it, his debut EP, No Matter What, is an unoriginal and exhausting listen. Upon initially hitting ‘play,’ I thought I had accidentally stumbled across a Rick Astley album, and the second time listening through the six-track EP, I had to pause to give my ears a break.

The first track, “Shadows,” is an accurate description of what to expect from the entire EP. The vocals are subdued and nasally while the lyrics are cheesy and boring. The music overlay has little to no variation and blends together in a monotonous synth-riddled blur.

Even the title track leaves a bad taste in the mouth. While it’s catchier than the first three tracks, the lyrics are cringe worthy. “No matter what they say, my friend, I’ll be with you again,” echoes in a desperate plea. The record closes with “From the Stone,” a track with barely discernible lyrics and the same basic melodic scheme prevalent throughout the record.

The rest of the EP isn’t worth mentioning. The entire production is a side-project gone wrong by a clearly lovesick Evan Brady, under the pseudonym Evan Ønly, a sorry and self-indulgent attempt to revitalize 80s synth pop.

Grade: D