ASM kickoff 2014

UW-Madison students attended the ASM kickoff and open house Tuesday to learn about available services and organizations.

ASM hosts open house at Student Activities Center

The Associated Students of Madison Student Activities Center Governing Board hosted a kickoff and open house event Tuesday at the SAC to introduce students to the center and its services.

Some of the groups attending the event included ASM, Badger Catholic, Greater University Tutoring Service, the MultiCultural Student Coalition and Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment.

SAC Governing Board Chair Tito Diaz said the main reason for hosting the event was part of a rebranding effort of the SAC.

“[The SAC has] kind of turned into a study space for people, which is fine because we are student-run and trying to help students any way we can, but it’s getting to the point where it is a quiet study area,” Diaz said. “We want it to be that vibrant space, which it was envisioned to be.”

The main event was a bingo-themed activity requiring students to visit different organizations. Once students filled out their bingo cards, they could choose either a burrito or slice of pizza. Students could also play Wii with Student Print or view the student business incubator.

University of Wisconsin-Madison student Tyler Markel said he wanted to get information about the opportunities available at the SAC.

“I just thought it was a good opportunity to get to see a lot of the orgs,” UW-Madison student Tia Smith said. Smith added she came to the open house because she missed the Student Org Fair.

UW-Madison student Caroline Cromer said besides the free food, she liked attending the open house “because you don’t really always know what orgs are out there.”

ASM hosted a kickoff event before the open house to promote their grassroots work and advocacy.

ASM Press Office Board Director Grace Bolt announced the office’s plans to launch a series of Jay Leno Jaywalk-style videos, where it will ask students on the street questions about student issues.

ASM concluded the kickoff by performing a bit about student involvement.

“We’ve got to move. We’ve got to act. Let’s make a change, and let’s remember, we’ll be the ones to make things right,” ASM members sang to the tune of Kesha’s “Timber.”