UW-Madison Union Council approves 2014-'15 budget, sets Revelry date

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Union Council met Thursday and approved the budget for the fiscal year 2015, which mainly consisted of Memorial Union renovation costs.

During the meeting, Associate Union Director Hank Walters questioned the Council on how to improve the budget, as he said it became increasingly clear there were numerous gaps with regard to distribution of funds. The Union raises all funds for the services and food outlets offered to students.

Walters also explained the 2014-'15 budget was running on a number of assumptions and projections, including the renovations to the Memorial Union.

One-half of the renovation should be completed by March, while the other half has been left to the discretion of the Building Commission, which meets March 5, Walters said.

If the Building Commission decides to postpone the renovations until 2015, the allocated funds for 2014 would be left untouched until then.

Council members also discussed when the Union Terrace will close and reopen and whether there is a building contractor ready to undertake the remainder of the project. Walters said the Union Terrace will continue to host events in spite of any renovation, and said alternative arrangements had already been made.

“We don’t think that it will impact the bottom line for us to be concerned,” Walters said.

Among the areas that will face closure at Memorial Union are the east and central wings, which include Der Rathskeller, Daily Scoop and the main kitchen. The seating at Der Rathskeller may still be left open for students, Walters said.

According to Walters’ projections, the Unions are expected to run a deficit of $205,000 for the 2014 fiscal year, while the projected deficit for 2015 is $195,000.

Additionally, the Council plans to invest in key areas that deserve improvement. The Unions’ IT department will see a 30-percent increase in funding next year, which will be used to improve the outdated computer systems and to focus on Internet security. The marketing department will also see an increase in funding, making it more competitive compared to other university departments and more attractive to students on campus.

The Council also announced the merger of the three accounts on the WisCard, which will go into effect next year. The changes will come as part of a major effort to simplify how students spend money at campus outlets and services. The Council also discussed the idea of having a 5-percent discount for WisCard users at all Union outlets, streamlining the current process drastically. Walters said even though the changes are small, they will make a big difference.

Walters also outlined the Council’s plan to deal with the loss of student jobs due to Union closure. He said the Union would assist students in securing jobs elsewhere if they were interested in finding alternative employment after being laid off.

The Council also discussed the Revelry Music and Arts Festival, scheduled for May 3. It declined to comment which artists had been approached, though it said definite marketing plans had been developed.