12062013redesign

Jim DiPiazzo, project engineer for the 700 and 800 blocks of State Street, said the nearly final redesign plans prioritize restoration, lighting, smooth traffic flow and a public art project.

State Street redesign plan reaches final stages

Select design members from MSA Professional Services convened at the Lowell Center Thursday to present near-final plans for the redesign of the 700 and 800 blocks of State Street and Library Mall.

The plans include a revamp of State Street, starting from the foot of Bascom Hill, extending all the way to Lake Street. A 24-foot-wide pedestrian walkway will run throughout the length of the street with a 12-foot lane on either side to accommodate amenities such as food carts, or infrastructure such as streetlights and trash cans. Additionally, 8-foot sidewalks flanking the amenity lane provide access to buildings on the block.

The plans for Library Mall include restoring much of the historic promenade to its pre-construction state, with the addition of an oval terrace flowing out into State Street.

The lighting will also be enhanced, according to Project Engineer Jason DiPiazza. He said “that was probably the loudest comment we got from the community.”

One of the most notable aspects of the design came from University of Wisconsin-Madison alumna Jill Sebastian, who designed a maple leaf sculpture to be placed at the intersection of East Campus Mall and State Street.

Reaching 30 feet high, and featuring LED illumination, the leaf is an homage to the state tree of Wisconsin, the sugar maple, and is intended to serve as a destination and meeting point for students and residents, Sebastian said.

The designs were warmly received by the approximately 20 citizens that attended the meeting, with only minor objections raised, mostly pertaining to lake-view seating and street maintenance.

Barring any major setbacks and with the approval of the State Street Project Oversight Design Committee, construction could begin as early as April 1.

“Given that we have libraries out here, places to study, we’re considering whether or not this construction is better suited to start after finals,” DiPiazza said.

If all goes well, by next fall students will be enjoying a modernized and revamped Library Mall–and telling each other to “meet at the Leaf.”