Young Progressives

State rep. chris taylor, d-Madison, encourages students to get involved with the democratic party and progressive organizations.

State representatives, advocacy groups meet with students to discuss women’s rights in Wisconsin

The Young Progressives, a student political organization on campus, held a women’s rights forum Tuesday called “Stand with Women,” which included a panel made up of pro-women organizations and two state representatives.

State Rep. Melissa Sargent, D-Madison, state Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, and representatives from Planned Parenthood Advocates and 9to5 answered questions from The Young Progressives’ vice president, Ann Degarmo.

Degarmo’s questions focused on women’s issues such as the decreasing availability to birth control and abortion, equal pay and the disparity between male and female legislators. The questions facilitated discussion among the panel that was followed up by a brief period of questions from students.

The panel first discussed legislation the Wisconsin legislature approved last summer that restricts abortion access and birth control.

Taylor said the worst violation of women’s rights was a bill that mandated vaginal ultrasounds before an abortion could be performed.

“Abortion access is hanging by a thread in the state of Wisconsin,” Taylor said.

Sargent said women’s rights in the workplace is an extremely important issue. She explained that not only do women make 78 cents to a man’s dollar on average in the state, but she would like to see a bill passed that would make it illegal to fire a pregnant woman who cannot perform her job during pregnancy.

Both representatives agreed one of the best ways students can make a difference in the fight for women’s rights is through volunteering and getting involved in Democratic political offices. Taylor said U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., inspired her to run for public office when Baldwin said that there are not enough women at the table.

Sargent said the biggest reason so many bills restricting women’s rights have passed is because of the political advantage state Republican politicians possess in districts where the boundaries have been redrawn.

Taylor also said negotiating across the aisle and working with Republican state congressmen is crucial to passing progressive legislation in the current political climate. She also highlighted the importance of compromising on bipartisan bills to make small victories.

“You really do have to be pragmatic and realistic, you always have to balance,” Taylor said.