Prep for finals with healthy eating and time management

Finals are just around the corner. As the semester comes to an end and we prepare to all head home, many of us struggle to find healthy foods to eat between dealing with the stress of studying and planning time for our families.

Let’s be honest, who has the time to sit down for a formal meal anymore, let alone around the weeks surrounding the stress and anxiety of finals? It’s just not practical. As a result, students of all ages regularly eat fast foods to avoid wasting time. While this most definitely does save us time, we might not realize it now but fast food is terrible for our bodies and definitely not worth the health issues in the long run. A majority of these fast foods that we eat are largely composed of carbs or filled with unnecessary fats. Next time before you choose to eat fast food, check out its nutritional information online; it might change your mind. Around this time of year we’re already susceptible to putting on excess weight during the holidays. This year, try staying away from fast food and see what a difference it can make.

Given the options for restaurants in Madison that are convenient to students, there are many options for students to grab a quick bite without the added calories. Many people underestimate Jimmy Johns. While their sandwiches may not be the healthiest, many students are unaware that Jimmy Johns provides a very healthy option: “the unwich.” The Unwich turns any one of their sandwiches into a lettuce wrap. This not only makes any sandwich a lot healthier, but it remains just as delicious. Here’s a bonus: they wrap it so well that you don’t have to worry about the wrap falling apart. Not only is this a healthy option for students, but it can also be delivered to you anywhere on campus at a rapid pace. This way you don’t have to take time out from your studies.

In addition to eating well, we still cannot forget the other key to success: working out. No one wants to go home and come back to school a few pounds heavier. With the stress of studying for finals, it can be difficult to find time to hit the gym, but don’t give up. Change your mindset when you think about working out and going to the gym. Going to the gym can be a great study break, help relieve the stress and raise your endorphins, which prepare you to get back and hit the books. If you are really concerned about losing that study time, bring your materials onto the treadmill with you. It will increase your focus.

Students also struggle to avoid stress eating. wMany people, including myself, like to nibble on snacks while they study page after page of notes. The key solution to this problem is to kick the habit altogether. These snacks are one of the largest causes of the freshman 15 and other weight gain. If you feel the need to munch on something, try fruits or vegetables. These foods will be more filling and will help you stop from indulging in that bag of chips or box of cookies.

Most importantly, when you eat your meals, make sure you have protein. Many speedy meals are usually composed of carbs. Unfortunately, these carbs may be filling at the time, but in a few hours you will be hungry again. By eating protein, your body will be full and your brain will be ready to continue with work. This can also help with time management for studying as you will not procrastinate for hours, and you can make the most efficient use of your time. Overall, if you eat healthy options, rather than eating junk between study sessions and family gatherings, your body will stay full for a longer period of time, allowing you to avoid a lot of snacking. This way you will be using your time most efficiently and keeping off the extra weight.