Distingtuished Lecture Series

Turkish author Orhan Pamuk spoke with UW-Madison students and community members Monday about his political novel, ‘Snow,’ which discusses the conflict between self and culture.

Nobel Prize winner stresses maintaining individuality in today’s society

Orhan Pamuk, a recipient of the 2006 Nobel Prize in literature, spoke at Union South Monday about his novel “Snow” and the importance of retaining individuality within one’s culture as part of the Distinguished Lecture Series.

During the lecture, Pamuk focused on “Snow,” one of his most notable works, which addresses political issues troubling northeastern Turkey. He stressed that the topics introduced in his novel are applicable to the rest of the world.

“These are not only Turkish problems,” Pamuk said. “These are problems that anyone faces when modernity approaches your country.”

The novel’s central conflict chronicles the main character’s desire to belong to his country while also being true to himself. Pamuk explained this conflict between oneself and culture is very prominent among all people.

Pamuk added he uses writing as a tool to explore humanity in order to let others speak and truthfully illustrate their points of view.

“Novels are about identifying with people who are not like us,” Pamuk said.

When writing “Snow,” Pamuk moved to Kars, an unstable town in Turkey, for several years. Since he was unfamiliar with the region, he was forced to recognize and learn about a new culture.

Pamuk also spoke about the importance of a writer’s ability to relate his own experiences to those of his readers.

“The art of the novel is a way of speaking about yourself in such a way that readers think you’re speaking about others,” he said.

Pamuk emphasized the ability to understand others, the importance of free speech and the desire to belong as the central themes in his novels. He said these are powerful lessons that can have a great impact on his readers worldwide.

According to Pamuk, his literature is not just a means of writing, but also a representation of the human experience.

University of Wisconsin-Madison’s English Professor Sara Guyer said Pamuk’s works are considered “an archive of the emotions—the complexities, the accomplishments, the accidents and the errors of the human race.”

His works, which include eight novels, one memoir and three works of nonfiction, have been translated into over 60 languages.