Men's Hockey: Badgers get first two Big Ten victories over Penn State at home

Wisconsin (2-2-0 Big Ten, 6-5-1 overall) wanted to prove that they could bounce back after two tough road losses against conference foe Minnesota. When Penn State (0-2-0, 3-9-1) came to the Kohl Center for the second Big Ten matchup in as many weeks, the Badgers were ready to get their message across.

With 13 goals and a series sweep, their message rang loud and clear.

Wisconsin handed Penn State 7-1 and 4-3 consecutive losses Friday and Saturday night.

Friday freshman forward Grant Besse tallied the first goal just three minutes into play on an assist from senior forward Sean Little, who went on to have three points over the course of two games. A minute later on a feed from forwards Tyler Barnes and Morgan Zulinick, captain Frankie Simonelli gave the Badgers a 2-0 advantage.

In a season that has thus far had on-off playing weeks, Simonelli said it’s nice to have some consistency in the schedule for the team to find a steady rhythm in their game.

“As hockey players, we’re not used to playing games every two weeks, we’re used to playing every weekend,” Simonelli said. “So it helps you just kind of build off things, helps you go through the practice week and build off what you did last weekend and take it into the following weekend.”

Just over halfway into the first period, PSU junior forward Tommy Olczyk got the puck past Badgers junior goaltender Joel Rumpel for the Nittany Lions only tally of the night.

In the second period, redemption came to senior Michael Mersch, whose turnover against Minnesota last Saturday cost the Badgers the game. On a pass from sophomore forward Nic Kerdiles, Mersch deked and scored a backhand goal on PSU sophomore goaltender Matthew Skoff, giving the Badgers a two-goal lead once more.

But it was senior forward Tyler Barnes’ fourth goal that would be the highlight of the night. On a play with line mates Mark Zengerle and Joseph LaBate with his back to the net, Barnes put the puck between his legs almost with ease, giving the Badgers a 4-1 lead heading into the second intermission.

The goal was later featured on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays of the day.

“It was one of those goals where he showed his athleticism,” head coach Mike Eaves said.

Three more goals from forwards Kerdiles, LaBate and Brad Navin would seal Friday night’s 7-1 victory. In that game, seven different Badgers scored, and five players had multi-point nights.

Saturday night’s game was not the same high-scoring shootout as Friday, and the Badgers were initially outplayed by Penn State.

Just over three minutes in to the first period, PSU freshman defenseman Mike Williamson took a penalty for tripping giving Wisconsin a chance on their struggling powerplay. But two quick penalties from UW freshman forward Jedd Soleway and senior defenseman Frankie Simonelli gave the Nittany Lions a 4-on-3. After Williamson’s penalty was over it was a two-man advantage, and redshirt sophomore Eric Scheid notched the first goal of the game on the powerplay.

With both teams back at full-strength, it was senior forward Sean Little who tied up the game on assists from Jefferson Dahl and Nic Kerdiles. Little would go on to add an assist on another goal to wrap up the weekend with a total of three points in the series.

“He comes out and plays hard,” Eaves said of Little. “He plays his game and he keeps it simple.”

The teams headed into the second period 1-1 until PSU freshman forward Rick DeRosa was called for elbowing.

The Badgers were finally able to break through on the powerplay as Michael Mersch scored his second goal of the series. Kerdiles and McCabe were credited with the assists. 

Penn State wasn’t ready to fall into the same hole they did Friday night, and DeRosa came back to even out the score 2-2 at even strength.

The third period was marked by even chances from both teams and a very aggressive Badger forecheck. Seven minutes into the frame Little laid a huge check on Nittany Lions’ defenseman Connor Varley, passing the puck to redshirt senior forward Keegan Meuer who then skated around the net to draw the PSU defenders towards him, leaving defenseman Joe Faust open for the pass and  goal. The Badgers got the lead back at 3-2.

It was a short-lived victory, however, when just 40 seconds later Penn State freshman forward Zach Saar brought his team right back into the game. UW goaltender Rumpel made a pad save on the initial shot, but Saar got to the rebound before any Wisconsin defenders could clear the puck.

The Badgers would grab the lead one more time, and it was the last one they needed. With just about seven minutes left in the third period, Nic Kerdiles received a pass from Simonelli, faked a shot as a PSU defender came sliding out, and put the puck away top shelf. The goal gave the Badgers the 4-3 advantage and would ultimately be the game winner.

“Last weekend we didn’t get any points against Minnesota, and the Big Ten is open now,” Kerdiles said after the game. “We’re fighting for three points every night now, and getting six on the weekend is huge. Whether it was ugly or not we got it done, and now we’re looking forward to next weekend and getting prepared.”