The Killers kill it on their greatest hits LP

Coming up on 10 years since their 2004 debut, Hot Fuss, featuring the smash hit “Mr. Brightside,” The Killers just released the greatest hits compilation, Direct Hits. It’s impossible to argue with the fact  The Killers have a knack for writing jams, and their ability to combine rock and pop has taken the U.S. by storm within the past decade. Hell, in 2008 they presented probably the most discussed philosophical idea in pop music: “Are we human, or are we dancer?” In my opinion, “Human” deserves a greatest hit album all on its own—but, I digress.

Direct Hits is dominated by tracks from 2004’s Hot Fuss, where some of their most popular songs (“Mr Brightside,” “Somebody Told Me,” “Smile Like You Mean It” and “All These Things That I Have Done”) were introduced. Nonetheless, the spectrum of the band’s history is well-represented, with tracks from each album except 2007’s Sawdust compilation, on the album. It’s an absolute shame Sawdust’s opening song, “Tranquilize” (featuring Lou Reed) isn’t included. The fact The Killers had the opportunity to make music with one of rock’s most influential figures is an obvious milestone in the history of the band. Especially in light of Reed’s recent death, the re-release of “Tranquilize” would have been a respectful tribute and—without trying to sound insensitive—would have aided exponentially in the album’s publicity and credibility.

Direct Hits features four newly released tracks to bring some diversity to the album. Two new singles, “Shot at the Night,” and “Just Another Girl,” come in near the end of the album. “Shot at the Night” is almost painfully '80s, but it’s still super catchy and karaoke-friendly. “Just Another Girl” throws back slightly more to the Hot Fuss era, with simple chord progressions, traditional instrumentals and production and a clear storyline. It’s a cute little tune about a boy who likes a girl, but I doubt it’ll get much radio time or huge popularity.

Here’s when the Calvin Harris remix of “When You Were Young” comes in. The track doesn’t fit at all in the album but there’s no doubt in my mind it’ll get radio time. Many people like The Killers, this was one of their biggest hits and radio stations and clubs love remixes of old classics. Seriously though? Calvin Harris over Lou Reed? SMH guys.

With a full 180-degree turn around, the next track is the original demo for “Mr. Brightside.” I absolutely love this addition, as it presents the raw youth of the band and a simplicity in Brandon Flowers’ voice that sometimes gets lost in the production of The Killers hits. This song would be a perfect closing track for the album, but for some reason they throw in 2012’s “Be Still” after the four new tracks. Who knows where this logic came from, but overall, Direct Hits is a great representation of the past 10 years of The Killers and how much they rock.

Grade: B+