State Senate passes amendment to change chief justice selection process

The Wisconsin state Senate voted unanimously Tuesday to pass a bill that would protect citizens’ private Internet accounts, such as Facebook and Twitter, from employers, universities and landlords.

Currently, employers can request all passwords to private Internet accounts, including social media sites, before offering a position to applicants. Employers can use information gathered from private accounts when making hiring decisions and can also refuse to hire those candidates who do not provide their passwords.

The bill would prohibit employers, educational institutions and landlords from requesting private online passwords and from discriminating against people who refuse to provide such information.

However, parties that are currently allowed to request potential employees’ information will still be able to view Internet content that is public domain and personal information published or sent through an organization’s server or network. The bill also allows employers to restrict Internet access to certain sites if the device is paid for, even in part, by the organization.

State Rep. Melissa Sargent, D-Madison, the author of a similar bill in the state Assembly, said she was pleased to see the passage of the bill backed by bipartisan support, according to an emailed statement. Sargent also said it is important that private Internet accounts are protected under the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

“The current generation will write the laws on social media,” Sargent said in the statement. “We must do it carefully and with respect for all parties involved.”

The bill will now move to the state Assembly for debate.