State Secretary of the DOA to pursue tribal negotiation in Kenosha casino debate

Gov. Scott Walker directed the Secretary of the Department of Administration Mike Huebsch to take over discussions with the Menominee tribe over its controversial plan for a casino in Kenosha Monday.

The Kenosha casino proposal has been an ongoing issue with the Menominee since Oct. 22. The tribe says the casino would greatly improve their financial situation, but critics, such as the Potawatomi tribe, say they fear lost jobs in other parts of the state, specifically Milwaukee, if the casino is built.

Due to the number of arguments for and against the proposed casino, Walker had to extend the decision-making process to review the information provided more carefully.

Walker said in a statement that creating more jobs for the people of Wisconsin is his “number one priority,” and with that in mind he said “[the] administration will focus … to create jobs without losing jobs in other parts of the state.” 

“We will not take that long, but will invest the time necessary to reach a positive solution for the state,” Walker said in a statement.