State Rep. Spiros’ ‘sexting’ bill placed on state Assembly agenda

A “sexting” bill that would make it illegal for somebody to distribute sexual images online and through phones without previous consent has been scheduled for a Tuesday hearing in the state Assembly after being circulated for co-sponsorship last month.

The Individual Privacy Protection Act, as it is officially known, was authored by state Rep. John Spiros, R-Marshfield, and aims to outlaw the spread of private and suggestive photos across the Internet. It has received widespread bipartisan support in the Legislature.

Spiros has been supportive of the bill, saying it is necessary to provide specific protections in the new technological age, according to a statement.

“This bill is pertinent to protect a generation who are a point and click away from having their private moments made public,” Spiros said in a statement. “These individuals deserve to have a legal system that protects them.”

The bill has received co-sponsorship from state Reps. Joan Ballweg, R-Markeson, Terese Berceau, D-Madison, Don Pridemore, R-Hartford, and Jeremy Thiesfeldt, R-Fond du Lac, among others.

The Assembly bill is one part of a Tuesday legislative session, which will also be the state Senate’s last meeting for the year. The state Senate is scheduled to reopen on the first Monday in January.