State Rep. Chris Taylor announced Thursday she will not run for Wisconsin Attorney General

After much deliberation, Taylor said she decided not to enter the race because of unfinished business in the state Assembly and family timing. Taylor said she represents a lot of university students in the district she serves and that she loves her job.

Taylor specifically mentioned pushing a bipartisan renewable energy bill and increasing children’s rights. The renewable energy bill involves energy companies working with private property owners to build solar panels and wind turbines on their properties. Taylor is also working to extend smoking bans for in-home daycares where smoking is currently legal.

Taylor pointed out the necessity for bipartisan creation and passing of bills, saying the state Legislature has become less divisive recently but still needs to focus on negotiating across the aisles.

“It’s okay to disagree, but it doesn’t have to be a personal thing,” Taylor said.

Taylor criticized state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen for politicizing the position of attorney general by making decisions along party lines. The attorney general has many responsibilities and acting as a top law enforcement official is only a small part of the job, Taylor said. She added she would like to see an attorney general who “stands up for the constitutional rights of the people of this state.”

Republican Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel and state Rep. Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, have formally announced their candidacy for the position.

Taylor declined to endorse a declared candidate in the race. 

The Wisconsin attorney general election is scheduled for November 2014.