Republican legislators circulate voter ID bill, plan for fast tracked schedule

As a 2011 state legislative effort to impose voter identification requirements remains tied up in court, state legislators have begun circulating a new bill that tweaks the 2011 law and offers specific exemptions for previously problematic population groups.

The new bill, proposed by state Reps. Mark Born, R-Beaver Dam, and Michael Schraa, R-Oshkosh, would impose voter ID requirements on all Wisconsin voters, but would exempt people who could not obtain an ID for a valid reason, such as not having enough income or not having the necessary documents to obtain one. It would also exempt people who do not have an ID for religious reasons, including those people whose religion keeps them from being photographed.

If a voter elects to use the exemption, their ballot will be treated as challenged, meaning it will receive extra scrutiny as to whether it is legal during the voting review process.

John Cronin, a spokesperson for Born, said the bill is “carrying the torch” of past voter ID bills that seek to establish a rule that can be put in place statewide.

“Everybody certainly wants legitimacy in elections and if there is any way an election can be undermined, that is in theory, undermining the whole principle of democracy,” Cronin said. “One vote or a few votes can really change what can happen in an election so you want it to be as legitimate as possible.”

The bill is set to be fast tracked through the legislative process with an introduction and committee hearing planned for next week. Cronin said the bill is scheduled to get to the full Assembly floor Nov. 12 or 14.