James White

Football: Rushing attack shines in blowout of Indiana

Badgers put up 676 yards and keep explosive IU offense out of the end zone

It didn’t take long for Wisconsin to establish its vaunted rushing attack against one of the worst rushing defenses in the Big Ten.

In fact, one play was all senior running back James White needed.

On Wisconsin’s first play from scrimmage White took the handoff, broke a tackle and from there it was off to the races.

It’s been nine years since No. 22 Wisconsin (5-1 Big Ten, 8-2 overall) has lost to Indiana (2-4, 4-6), and this year’s contest was more of the same, ending with a lopsided 51-3 victory for the Badgers.

The brutal onslaught against Indiana was led by the tremendous trio of tailbacks Wisconsin keeps in its arsenal. In his pregame speech head coach Gary Andersen told his players to start fast and stay steady, advice they must have taken to heart.

White broke through the line and showcased his lightning speed on the Badgers’ first play of the game with a 93-yard touchdown, the longest run in school history.

White rushed for a career-high 205 yards on 20 carries during the game. Doing what they know best, the Badgers ran the ball for an impressive season-high 554 yards on 50 carries, while redshirt sophomore Melvin Gordon and freshman Corey Clement both contributed over 100 yards each to that total.

“I’m just trying to take advantage of all the opportunities,” White said. “Whenever the offensive line gives me that little bit of a crease I have to take advantage of it.”

The surprise for Wisconsin’s running game came from redshirt senior wide receiver Jared Abbrederis, who ran for 86 yards and two touchdowns on three carries.

Abbrederis is normally the leading receiver for Wisconsin, but did not record a reception on a wet and dreary day at Camp Randall.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Joel Stave passed for 122 yards on seven completions.

The Hoosiers are averaging 306 passing yards a game and are known for their explosive offense.

The weather was detrimental to both teams’ passing game, and while the Hoosiers’ two sophomore quarterbacks, Nate Sudfeld and Tre Roberson, had been considered big threats going into Camp Randall, they ultimately did not live up to the hype. Sudfeld, who is averaging 228 passing yards per game this season, only managed 99 against the Badgers.

Wisconsin’s defense came ready to play from the start, with freshman cornerback Sojourn Shelton picking off Sudfeld’s pass on the Hoosiers’ first drive of the game. He currently leads the Badgers in interceptions and has 28 tackles.

“[Shelton] wants to play every single snap, and the way he competes, he will do that in checkers, horse, whatever he’s doing,” Andersen said “He’s handled his freshman year unbelievably well now to be at this point 10 games in and play as much as he’s played, and stay steady and not hit the walls has been impressive.”

On Indiana’s following drive, redshirt senior linebacker Brendan Kelly recovered Roberson’s fumble to set Wisconsin up for its second touchdown of the day.

The rest of the day was more of the same for the Badgers, winning the battle for time of possession with 37:45 to Indiana’s 22:15, keeping the traditionally explosive Indiana offense off the field for most of the game. When Indiana did have the ball, the Wisconsin defense forced the Hoosiers to punt eight times.

As the Badgers slowed down in the second quarter, sophomore kicker Jack Russell shone, sinking three field goals, the longest from 36 yards, and went 6-for-6 on extra-point attempts.

“I don’t think there was one [kick] in question,” Andersen said. “The ball got up over the line of scrimmage in a nice way, and it looked like a well-struck ball every time it came off.”