Discrimination in Russia should be fought

As many of you know, earlier this year Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a bill banning the “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations” throughout Russia. These laws have made it illegal to hold gay pride parades and events, to defend gay rights through the media and to inform minors about the gay and lesbian community. Not only have these laws been imposed on citizens of Russia, but also on foreigners and the media, with fines of up to $31,000 being implemented. Due to the vagueness of this law, citizens and foreigners alike in Russia can be arrested simply for stating that they are gay.

The Russian city of Sochi is set to hold the Olympic games this year, which will bring in mobs of tourists and business to the Russian economy, thus supporting the Russian government. Not to mention that hosting the Olympic games greatly improves a country’s reputation. The Olympic games will also bring in a significant amount of foreigners who, under Russian law, could be arrested just for wearing a rainbow shirt. Despite these discriminatory laws, the International Olympic Committee has refused to put any pressure on the Russian government as they have done with many other countries in the past.

Even worse is the IOC’s stance against showing gay pride at the Olympics. According to Rule 50 of the Olympic charter, “no kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas,” which the IOC is taking to mean that no open expression of gay pride will be allowed.  They are basically saying, “You can be gay, as long as you don’t show it,” which is of course, a form of discrimination. They are also implying that being openly gay at the Olympics can be considered a demonstration.

In the past, the IOC has been known to put pressure on host countries to change outlandish laws before they are allowed to host the games. Because it is such a great honor to host the Olympic games, the IOC tends to hold a good amount of sway over these host countries. The fact that the IOC has gone along with the Russian government and tolerated these laws should be a serious wake-up call to people worldwide.

Although President Obama has openly criticized Russian’s anti-gay propaganda law, he does not support boycotting the Olympics, because it would take away all the hard work American athletes have put in.

“One of the things I’m really looking forward to is maybe some gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze, which I think would go a long way in rejecting the kind of attitudes that we’re seeing there,” Obama stated at a White House news conference.

Although I do agree that this will send a powerful message, I don’t think it’s enough. America can do so much more to promote equal rights than just sending gay and lesbian athletes to the Olympics, which we would have done anyway. Boycotting the Olympics may be too drastic a measure to take, but something at least needs to be done to show that the U.S. does not support these laws.

The upcoming Olympic games are a great opportunity for the U.S. to set an example for countries worldwide in taking a stand against discrimination. Athletes can use interviews and statements with press and news media to promote equal rights for gays and lesbians and Olympic sponsors should also use their ads to show support for gay rights.

Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law is an attempt by the government to silence the voices of a huge part of its population and should not be encouraged by the rest of the world, especially a nation like the U.S., which brags about its ideal of “liberty and justice for all.”

Genevieve is a sophomore majoring in vocal performance.  How do you think the U.S. should react to Russia’s anti-gay laws in the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics? Do you think it’s our place to step in? Tell us what you think! Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.