Underage drinking bill passes state Legislature, moves to Gov. Scott Walker

A bill that would allow alcohol retailers in Wisconsin to sue underage patrons passed the state Legislature Tuesday after the Senate approved the Assembly bill.

If Gov. Scott Walker signs the bill on its next step in the legislative process, bars and other retailers could sue underage patrons who are violating underage drinking laws, such as using a fake ID, in the retailer’s establishment. If a court finds the underage person committed the violation, the bill mandates the person pay a $1,000 fine, a boost from the previous latitude the court had to issue a fine between $250 and $1,000.

The legislation, which first passed the state Assembly in June, has been somewhat controversial since its introduction last year, but gained traction as a way to discourage underage students and citizens from going to bars.

Democratic state senators brought up several concerns over the bill during Tuesday’s Senate floor session. State Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, said the $1,000 fine could be more than 200 percent higher than what an establishment in Wisconsin would be cited under local ordinances if an underage patron was caught on its premises.

State Sen. Tim Carpenter, D-Milwaukee, said the bill “puts a thousand-dollar bounty on [students’] backs” and is “not ready for prime time.”

Republicans, including the bill’s author, state Rep. Andre Jacque, R-De Pere, have said the bill would help to curb underage drinking and statewide drunk driving. 

The bill will move to Walker for his consideration.