Sustainability Committee finalizes proposal for 'green fund'

The Associated Students of Madison Sustainability Committee met Wednesday and discussed updates to its “green fund” plans, as well as news on additional campaigns and the upcoming Sustainability Fair.

Student Council will vote on the “green fund” Nov. 15. If approved, the fund will be implemented in the next fiscal year, with grants becoming available in the spring.

Any University of Wisconsin-Madison student may apply for a grant, according to Sustainability Committee chair Will Mulhern. Those applying must submit a 1,500 word proposal, which outlines an anticipated mission and suggested budget, as well as proposed backing from both a faculty and an administrative member.

The $80,000 will be split up into three $20,000 grants and two $10,000 grants.

The $80,000 will be made up of $60,000 from ASM’s internal budget and $20,000 in student segregated fees, which would increase segregated fees by 50 cents per student.

Freshman committee member Jessica Brand introduced a new campaign, which would implement community service oriented classes in to the UW-Madison curriculum.

“Ideally, It would not be an addition of credits, but changing some elective credits to be service learning based,” Brand said.

Additionally, Sustainability Committee Vice Chair Kevin Englebert discussed the upcoming Sustainability Fair, including choosing the keynote speaker.

“I would like somebody who is outside of campus,” Englebert said. “A lot of students hear speeches from faculty, but they don’t hear a lot from outside sources, so I’d like somebody to come in with a fresh, different perspective.”

The fair will be on Nov. 14, from 5-7p.m., in the Idea Room of the Education building.