State Rep. Peter Barca proposes UW Extension nanotechnology ‘hub’, council

Two Democratic state representatives proposed a new bipartisan bill Monday aimed at increasing the funding for scientific research in nanotechnology through the University of Wisconsin System.

Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, and state Rep. Terese Berceau, D-Madison, introduced the bill that would create a nanotechnology “hub” at UW Extension. The bill would simultaneously create a council that sets policies and priorities as well as funds the hub.

Nanotechnology is the study of controlling and building with individual atoms and molecules and involves coordination among multiple scientific fields, according to a statement from Barca’s office Monday.

The “hub” would be designed to report on emerging nanotech health and safety information for the state Legislature.

“Nanotechnology represents a great opportunity to spur innovation while encouraging job growth and economic development,” Barca said in the statement.

He also said the proposed “hub” would allow Wisconsin to build on the “strong history of pioneering research in the UW System.” 

The proposal is a direct result of numerous recommendations by the Special Committee on Nanotechnology, which met from fall 2010 through spring 2011. It developed recommendations and was instrumental in drafting the bill, according to the statement.