Monday, June 17, 2024

SSFC approves Student Leadership Programs' 2014-'15 budget

The Student Services Financial Committee approved the 2014-’15 budget for Student Leadership Programs in an unanimous decision Thursday.

SLP provides events that develop leadership skills crucial to creating positive relationships and contributing to the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, according to its website.

“After reading through the budget, I had trouble finding anything I would like to change,” Representative Brett Ducharme said.

SSFC approved the budget 8-0 with one abstention. Committee members approved a $55,953 budget, which is approximately $10,000 less than the previous year.

SSFC also heard the funding request from Adventure Learning Programs. ALPs is a program that provides adventure workshops through high and low ropes courses, ALPs representative Lee Swartz said.

“There is nothing else like us on campus,” said Swartz.

ALPs provides the house fellow workshop each year as well as other workshops for different groups around campus.

ALPs is projecting returning 11.74 percent back to SSFC due to cuts in staff salary and other cost-reducing measures. According to Christine Fukuda, an ALPs representative, membership costs are increasing by $170 because ALPs changed from individual to organizational membership.

“ALPs is all about facing your fears and reaching your goals,” Fukuda added.

SSFC will decide on the ALPs’ budget Monday.