One Wisconsin Now files complaint against Scott Suder over United Wisconsin involvement

A liberal leaning group filed an ethics complaint against former State Assembly Majority Leader Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, Monday for what it said was his unethical involvement in awarding United Sportsmen of Wisconsin Inc. a now rescinded $500,000 grant.

Scott Ross, executive director of One Wisconsin Now, filed the complaint with the Government Accountability Board based on a report from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which revealed Scott Meyer, the executive director of USW, took Suder on a “free fishing excursion” a week prior to the grant’s approval. Suder was influential in awarding USW the controversial grant.

Ross argued in the complaint that the excursion represents a moral violation of state ethics law, which says “no state public officials may solicit or accept from any person, directly or indirectly, anything of value.”

State Democrats have also questioned the Walker administration’s decision to give Suder a $94,000-a-year job at the Public Service Commission following his departure from the state Legislature.