Lions' Dominic Raiola apologizes

Lions' Dominic Raiola apologizes to UW Band, offers donation

Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola apologized to University of Wisconsin-Madison Marching Band Director Michael Leckrone in a telephone call Monday and indicated he would make a “significant donation” to The Marching Band Fund, a foundation supporting the UW Marching Band.

Raiola will not face disciplinary action from the Lions organization or the National Football League for his homophobic and misogynistic slurs directed at the UW-Madison Marching Band during a Green Bay Packers game Oct. 6.

Raiola also released a statement through the Lions detailing his apology.

“My interaction with the Wisconsin Marching Band was inappropriate. I apologize to those I offended along with all of the members of Wisconsin’s Marching Band,” Raiola said in the statement. “I also apologize to the Lions’ organization and my teammates. I understand the standards to which we should conduct ourselves, and my actions Sunday fell dramatically short of those standards.”

In a statement released with Raiola’s, Lions President Tom Lewand expressed satisfaction with Raiola’s apology and donation.

“After investigating the matter and discussing Sunday’s events with Dominic, we are pleased that he has taken ownership of his actions and admitted those actions were wrong and unacceptable,” Lewand said in a statement. “Due to Dominic’s sincere and appropriate response, there will be no additional disciplinary action by the team.”

Raiola had been unapologetic for his actions in two past incidents with fans involving obscene language and hand gestures. He received a $7,500 fine in 2008 for an incident with Minnesota Vikings fans and a $15,000 fine in 2010 for an incident with Miami Dolphins fans.