F.H King presents 2014-’15 budget to SSFC

The sustainable agriculture organization F.H. King presented its request for 2014-’15 funding from the Student Service Finance Committee Monday, stressing its ability to provide broad services with a frugal budget.

F.H. King runs small-scale sustainable agriculture programming. Its services include an Eagle Heights student-run farm, a bike compost pickup program and harvest handouts, a weekly program where the organization gives away free produce.

The organization requested $71,246.68 for the 2014-’15 fiscal year.

F.H. King Finance Director Sunil Misra said the organization did not use its full 2012-’13 budget and returned over $3,000 at the end of the year due to reduced advertising costs and efficient use of resources.

SSFC Rep. Thuy Pham asked F.H. King presenters whether the reduced funding request would mean a “more exclusive” scope of services.

Outreach Coordinator Parker Jones said the organization had simply found “real and valuable opportunities” to reduce costs.

“I would really stress to you all [the reduced funding] is not at all a product of failure on our behalf or a shrinkage in our organization,” Jones said. “Really, we experienced quite the opposite…. each year all of our programs have been expanded.”

One concern highlighted by SSFC Vice Chair Ian Malmstadt was a salary allotted in the budget to a summer garden director working 30 hours per week. Policy prohibits groups from using SSFC funding to pay employees working over 20 hours per week. Jones said in the past the organization received a wage policy exemption.

SSFC Chair David Vines said he will meet with F.H. King members this week to find a solution that complies with standing rules.

SSFC will make a decision on the organizations’ budget Thursday.

tags: Sunil Misra, david vines, Thuy Pham, ian malmstadt, parker jones, ssfc, f h king