Ditch the diet

“I need to go on a diet,” you say. “I’m starting my diet… tomorrow.” The word “diet” is used so frequently that it has lost its meaning. On a regular basis adults and teenagers are insisting they need to go on a diet, but that most certainly is not true. They use the word to refer to losing weight by restricting what they are eating. This should not always be the case.

As fashion week has recently ended, we have watched the skinny models walk down the runway, strutting the latest trends and styles. It is these images that make us feel insecure, requiring us to “diet.”

According to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, diet can be defined as “a food and drink regularly provided or consumed,” or “habitual nourishment.” In no way does this definition include depriving our bodies of particular foods. So why is it that men and women alike consider this deprivation to be a diet?

I understand, as a college student— with a lingering nose for the delicious smells that surround me as I walk down State Street— you’re incredibly tempted to order that cup of ice cream. “We are, afterall, in the dairy state. And it’s only a size small,” we convince ourselves.

I’m here to tell you to have that cup of ice cream, and embrace the smells with moderation. The key to maintaining a healthy body and a healthy diet lies within moderation.

So, if you do want that ice cream, try and limit yourself to dessert or ice cream only two or three times a week at most. It’ll be a special treat to look forward to, and will not create unnecessary sugars in your body.

While we all know that many portions at restaurants are often times too large, it still doesn’t stop us from scrapping up the last bit of ketchup with the last lonely french fry. Dieting doesn’t mean you can’t finish your dish, or you can’t eat the french fries. Instead, try resting half way through your meal. This does not mean that you won’t finish your meal. Simply give your body time to digest. You may find that you are more full than you thought. And if not, you can keep eating at a moderate pace.

Eat those fruits and veggies! While you may not like the taste of some of them, try to experiment with new fruits and vegetables you haven’t tried. A great place to explore this is the Saturday morning Farmer’s Market at the Capitol.

Vendors line the streets with tents filled with freshly grown fruits and vegetables. And remember- the deeper the color the deeper the nutrients. In other words, choose vegetables and fruits in a variety of colors. This will allow you to gain all the vitamins and minerals that you need, making you not as hungry for those snacks later on in the day.

You may be thinking these tips are too simple and that your body will not change. However, if you stick to moderation rather than depriving yourself of the nutrients that you need, you will find yourself feeling healthier instantly. No longer will you need to use the word “diet.” Instead you will maintain a healthy lifestyle rather than maintaining an unhealthy diet. And don’t forget to get outside and walk around! After all, walking is the best exercise you can do.