Community members, county officials assemble on Capitol steps to recognize domestic violence victims

Approximately 60 people gathered on the state Capitol steps Monday to recognize victims of domestic violence in Wisconsin and to raise awareness to prevent domestic violence incidents from occurring in the future.

The event, which was organized by Domestic Abuse Intervention Services and the Zonta Club of Madison, featured speakers including Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney and Dane County organization representatives.

Each of the assembled members held a small white flag with the name of a 2012 domestic abuse victim written on one side. The event is held yearly on the first Monday in October, which corresponds to the national day of unity for those affected by domestic violence, according to Shannon Barry, executive director of DAIS.

“We come together to honor the victims, memorialize them and bring the community together to reinforce our combined and coordinated commitment to ending domestic violence,” Barry said.

Representatives from various state agencies and organizations took turns giving short speeches about what the event meant to them and their offices.

Mahoney said he has tried to increase resources and efforts to curb domestic violence in Dane County.

“It is my goal to have fewer [names for] flags next year,” Mahoney said.

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin said he hopes the event prompts more people to report domestic violence. 

“Hopefully [the event] will lead to a reduction in violence and in death, which occurs all too frequently in our state as a result of domestic abuse,” Soglin said. “The problem is too often either the victims are afraid to come forward or the people who know the victims are reluctant to intervene.”