City staff raises concerns that could halt Sigma Alpha Epsilon redevlopment

A proposal to demolish the current Sigma Alpha Epsilon House, located on Lake Mendota’s shore near Langdon Street, could be stalled by city staff members who have raised concerns about the legitimacy of the redevelopment, according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8.

The planned redevelopment came about as the result of a city ordinance, passed in response to the 2008 fire that destroyed the Sigma Phi Epsilon house, which requires all fraternity and sorority houses in Madison have a functioning sprinkler system in place by Jan. 1, 2014.

Steve Harms, the director of pre-construction services at Tri-North Builders, said at an informational meeting about the project in September that after realizing the extent of water damage and plumbing work the current SAE house required, building inspectors recommended the fraternity completely rebuild its residence.

Tri-North Builders designed a seven-story, 24-unit apartment complex, which would house more than twice the number of fraternity brothers currently residing at the 627 N. Lake St. house.

However, Resnick said the redevelopment project hit a snag in the city approval process when several city staff members on various downtown planning committees as well as SAE’s neighbors objected on the basis that the demolition application does not meet city demolition requirements. Resnick said city officials have also raised concerns about whether or not the proposed design fits into the Downtown Plan and subsequent zoning codes.

The city’s Plan Commission and Common Council have yet to vote on the project, which Resnick said is scheduled for sometime in late November or early December.

“It’s more of a wait and see whether the project goes through or whether modifications are made before we vote on it,” Resnick said.

Despite issues city staff and community members have about the reconstruction, Resnick said “the leadership of the fraternity, that would include the current chapter president as well as their board, are committed to redevelopment.”