Leg Affairs_10/1/13

City official talks civic engagement, campus safety

Ald. Michael Verveer, District 4, is no stranger to campus governance, he told students at an Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee meeting Monday.

“When people ask me what I majored in, I say student government,” Verveer joked.

While earning his undergraduate degree, Verveer spent four years with student governance, including a stint as president. Now invited back to familiar ground, Verveer took the chance to discuss campus safety and educate students about ways to engage with city issues, including with the city capital and operating budgets currently in the works.

Verveer encouraged committee members to press Mayor Paul Soglin about the importance of the Downtown Safety Initiative, which funds a ramped up police presence in the downtown area on weekends.

Former Police Chief Noble Ray asked for $100,000 to fund DSI in the city’s proposed operating budget. Although Verveer said he “won’t be surprised” if the amount is approved, he plans to offer a budget amendment if it is not.

“I know how critical [the DSI] is to the safety and well-being of everybody that’s out downtown weekend nights,” Verveer said.

In light of recent increases in some types of crime, Verveer also briefed committee members on campus safety, saying that it is “at the forefront of the city’s thoughts.” Verveer said he will take measures such as continuing an ongoing push to install pedestrian lights in downtown and campus areas to deter crime.

He also stressed the importance of installing more security cameras downtown. On Sept. 23, Verveer proposed a unanimously passed amendment to the capital budget that increased the amount allocated to security cameras. The current budget now devotes $70,000 to the cameras, which Verveer said are vital both in investigating crimes and deterring them.

Although it is important to address crime issues, Verveer said it is also important to note Madison does well in terms of safety. For instance, crimes such as home invasions are almost always due to the involved individuals engaging in drug dealing.

“Overall we have a very safe community here, a very safe campus,” Verveer said.