Monday, June 17, 2024

Brandy Clark stuns with beautiful songs on '12 Stories'

Brandy Clark is mostly known for songwriting. Artists such as Darius Rucker, LeAnn Rimes, Reba McEntire and many other famous country performers have used her songs. And she stuns in her new album 12 Stories. She has two songs this year on top country charts, “Better Dig Two” by The Band Perry and “Mama’s Broken Heart” by Miranda Lambert. In this album, she steps out of the shadows and shines.

Brandy Clark has a very distinctive folk-country voice. She is a classic country singer, which is surprising due to her Washington roots. True to the title of the album, there are 12 songs, and each has its own story. It's very descriptive and even the minute details are presented. The songs are very calm and it's easy to just keep listening. At the beginning of the album, it starts more upbeat, but then lingers as it comes to a close, almost as if she says “the end” to her story. Closing my eyes, as I listen to each song, I can almost see what she is depicting. The words keep you hooked because you want to “see” what is going to happen next.

Clark covers a wide variety of controversial topics such as murder, sex, drugs, alcohol, illegitimate children and divorce. She does not refrain from anything. The masterpiece of the album is definitely “Stripes.” Clark uses interesting prison sound effects, and with the blend of Vince Gill in the background she creates a unique sound with very powerful words. The album is all about the empowerment of women, whether it's rational or not is up to the listener. 12 Stories makes me want to pull on my cowboy boots, put on my hat and hit the town with my girlfriends.

Rating: A