Monday, June 17, 2024

ASM brainstorms for upcoming internal budget

Associated Students of Madison Student Council representatives brainstormed ideas for the new internal budget at a listening session Wednesday

Chair David Gardner invited representatives to share ideas for the new budget, which will have a first draft by Nov. 1.

Sustainability Chair Will Mulhern proposed ASM implement a “green fund” in the budget. This would be $80,000 in grants funded partially by segregated fees that would be allotted to environmentally conscious student organizations.

ASM members raised some concerns about the green fund, such as worries the fund would not impact students on a large scale.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair David Vines discussed adding a paid student election organizer position to the budget. Finance Committee Chair Mary Prunty suggested increasing the amount allotted to the open grants, which registered student organizations can apply for.

Rep. Sarah Neibart encouraged ASM to be watchful of the strain of additions to the internal budget.

“Students will be taxed, it is important for everyone to realize that,” Neibart said.

In response to Chancellor Rebecca Blank’s interest in raising out of state tuition rates, Gardner brought up the idea of creating a resolution to show students’ perspective towards tuition. Rep. Neibart discussed the idea of a shared governance committee that would examine tuition.

ASM Rep. Justin Bloesch proposed funding for WISPIRG through a Campus Services Process Proposal. WISPIRG receives funding from SSFC, but their professional staff members are not covered in that budget. The CSPP would provide funding, drawn from segregated fees, for those staff members.

Members will vote on the proposal at the next student council meeting.

Correction: This article was revised Thursday, Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. to reflect that the green fund would only partially be funded by a segregated fee increase. Sustainability Committee is still exploring additional funding sources. We regret the error.