Walker rescinds grant to Wisconsin sportsmen organization

Gov. Scott Walker rescinded a $500,000 grant Thursday, which the Department of Natural Resources granted a Wisconsin sportsmen organization, in light of intentional errors made in the application process.

United Sportsmen of Wisconsin received the grant Aug. 29, for which it was the only applicant. The grant aimed to promote the state’s sporting heritage by educating the next generation of sportsmen, but called for experience in outdoor instruction the organization did not have.

According to its website, United Sportsmen of Wisconsin is an organization that aims to protect sportsmen’s rights, specifically those of hunters, fishermen, trappers and gun owners.

DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp said in a statement she met with Walker Thursday evening, and although they agreed recruiting new sportsmen and sportswomen is an important goal, he canceled the grant.

“We also agreed that it is essential for any organization that receives financial support from the state to have the trust of the public in its capabilities to produce concrete results,” Stepp said in the statement.

State Rep. Fred Clark, D-Baraboo, released a statement in response to the grant’s cancellation, citing the group’s conservative ties and insufficient track record.

“In the 2013 state budget this Legislature provided the DNR with a politically motivated directive to grant a half million dollars to an astro-turf front group with strong ties to ultra-conservatives, but no track record providing training or education to hunters or fishermen,” Clark said in the statement.

Clark also said he “applauds” Walker’s and Stepp’s decision to revoke the grant, adding it is now up to the Legislature to develop new guidelines for awarding such funds.