U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin urges Gov. Scott Walker to rethink decision on Affordable Care Act

Gov. Scott Walker’s office sent 92,000 letters to Wisconsinites this week and received one back from U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., regarding the eventual removal of Wisconsin citizens from the state Medicaid program after Walker decided not to implement the Affordable Care Act.

Walker previously declined $489 million from the federal government that could have been used to expand BadgerCare, requiring 92,000 people to transition from BadgerCare to health care exchanges that begin operation Oct. 1.

Walker’s health care plan would cover all individuals earning up to the poverty level and require anyone making above that level to seek health care through federally run exchanges.

Conversely, the recommended federal health expansion would have expanded BadgerCare to all individuals earning up to 133 percent of the poverty level.

Baldwin, a staunch ACA supporter, said in a letter to Walker Monday that the governor’s decision to decline federal money to expand the state’s Medicaid program was “disappointing” and an example of the governor “playing political games.”

Baldwin accused Walker of leaving Wisconsin businesses out of the solution, costing Wisconsin taxpayers $119 million over the next two years and covering 85,000 fewer people.

Tom Evenson, Walker’s press secretary, said in an email the governor made his decision to provide relief to Wisconsin taxpayers. Walker has previously said his decision would also allow Wisconsinites to have their own choice in health care coverage.

Evenson said the new plan will increase the number of insured individuals in Wisconsin by over 224,000 and cut the number of uninsured individuals in half. It will also build on the state’s strong history of expanding health care to taxpayers.

“The governor’s plan preserves Medicaid as a vital safety net for [the] state’s neediest,” said Evenson in the email.

Baldwin also said the letters Walker’s administration sent out are vague and confusing and do not properly inform those affected to the impeding changes in coverage.

According to Evenson, the state Department of Health Services has set up 11 statewide networks to assist Wisconsin residents in purchasing health care that fits their needs. Evenson also said the administration has worked to reach out to citizens and answer questions the public might have by hosting 11 town meetings where information regarding the health care switch has been presented. The Walker administration has also scheduled five additional public hearings regarding the change, according to Evenson.

The market for health care exchanges opens Oct. 1 and coverage is scheduled to begin Jan. 1.