State assembly elects new majority leader, speaker pro tempore

The state Legislature underwent multiple changes Wednesday, including the naming of a new assembly majority leader and adopting a formal timeline for the election of a new representative for the recently vacated 69th state Assembly district seat.

The recent changes started after former state Assembly Majority Leader Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, officially resigned his position Sept. 3 for a job with the Public Service Commission.

Former Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore Bill Kramer, R-Waukesha, became the new majority leader and state Rep. Tyler August, R-Lake Geneva, took over the speaker pro tempore position. The speaker pro tempore acts as a stand in for the assembly speaker and is usually well versed in assembly rules. Members of the state Assembly elected both representatives to their new positions.

State Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said in a Wednesday statement he supported the choices because both representatives bring a “wealth” of experience to their new positions.

“I’m confident that with their leadership abilities and drive that we can continue to move the state forward by passing meaningful legislation that will improve the lives of Wisconsinites,” Vos said in the statement.

Suder’s departure also prompted Gov. Scott Walker to issue the dates for the special election to fill the now vacated assembly seat. According to a release from Walker’s office, a primary election will be held Oct. 22, if it is required, and the actual special election is set for Nov. 19.