SSFC_9/13/13

Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee approved funding for GUTS and heard a presentation from Sex Out Loud Thursday.

SSFC approves funding for student tutoring service

An Associated Students of Madison financial committee approved General Student Services Fund funding for Greater University Tutoring Service in a near-unanimous vote at a meeting Thursday.

GUTS is a volunteer student organization that provides free tutoring services to all University of Wisconsin-Madison students. According to the GUTS website, the organization assists with academic courses, conversational English and intercultural exchange.

GSSF groups must undergo eligibility hearings every two years and demonstrate their ability to provide direct services to students, which are educational benefits available and customizable to the needs of any UW-Madison student.

After a brief debate in which many Student Services Finance Committee members said they thought GUTS “clearly” met the eligibility requirements, members of SSFC voted unanimously, with one abstention, to grant GSSF funding to GUTS.

“There was honestly just a general consensus,” Vines said.

Following GUTS approval, Sex Out Loud applied for GSSF funding eligibility, stating the group provides direct services to students that are unique from services provided by the university.

According to its website, Sex Out Loud is a peer-to-peer sexual health resource for UW-Madison students that offers sex education programs, safer sex supplies and sexual health counseling and advising services as well as other informational resources.

Sex Out Loud facilitator Nicholas Fetzner said in the 2012-2013 fiscal year, Sex Out Loud hosted 77 workshops, 76 of which were presented to students who live in University Housing.

“All of our services are planned, coordinated, and implemented to be for university students,” Fetzner said at the meeting.