Singing protesters continue demonstrations, arrests in Capitol rotunda

A group of singing protesters in the state Capitol continue to draw attention to the ever-lengthening list of arrests they are generating as they protest permitting requirements for groups assembling within the Capitol.

The Solidarity Singers, a group of protesters who voice their discontent with Gov. Scott Walker’s leadership by singing, first took their daily protest challenging the new permitting rules inside the Capitol July 17. There have been more than 320 citations issued to date for gathering without a permit.

The administrative rules, passed by Walker’s Department of Administration, originally required all groups of four or more to acquire a permit before assembling in the Capitol, but a ruling by U.S. District Court Judge William Conley temporarily revised the rules to take effect only when groups consist of 20 or more people. The ruling was the result of an ongoing case brought by Michael Kissick, a protester and University of Wisconsin-Madison professor, against the DOA.

While the protesters have continued to wage their daily standoff with Capitol Police, they have garnered attention for several notable arrests, including Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, and Damon Terrell, a regular Madison protester who lost a primary bid for the District 13 alder seat during the 2012 election.

Clear was the first politician arrested for assembling without a permit inside the Capitol. He said he was arrested within one or two minutes of first arriving to sing in the rotunda.

His lawyer has already entered a not guilty plea on his behalf, he added.

The alder said he disagrees with the citations and Capitol Police action because the singing protesters are exercising their constitutional rights.

“I can understand people who said that the daily event was annoying, but annoying is also constitutionally protected,” Clear said, adding the right to assemble should specifically extend to important political areas. “The Capitol rotunda may be the most important venue for protest in the state.”

Terrell’s forcible Aug. 26 arrest occurred after two Capitol Police officers approached him, brought him to the ground and pinned him with the help of a third officer, according to video footage of the arrest. Terrell maintains he tripped while backing away from the officers.

Terrell faces charges for resisting arrest as well as the possibility of a felony battery charge after the incident.

The protests are set to continue indefinitely as neither side has agreed to compromise. However, Tom Kasper, a retired state employee, has received a permit for a group of separate singers called Kapitol Singerz for three days this month, adding another wrinkle to the saga as protesters and police wait to see if the permit will produce any considerable changes.

The Capitol Police could not be reached for comment.