A Daily Cardinal Bar Guide

Neighborhood Gems: A guide to Madison's most unique neighborhood bars

If you look far and wide, in the crevices and basements and pockets of places you’d pass by otherwise, you’ll find these neighborhood spots that are like none other. If you take a chance on them and make the long trek, you’ll find yourself going back for more. 

Greenbush Bar

You might easily walk by the Greenbush Bar without noticing, if you didn’t know it was there. Nestled in the basement of the historic Italian Workmen’s Club building on  Regent Street, this Italian bar and restaurant offers stiff gin and whiskey classics such as Sazerac and Whiskey Smash, as well as delicious pizza to boot. The ambience could be a number of things—tasteful tacky, with Christmas lights running across the ceiling. Maybe it’s Wisconsin swank. Or maybe, as a bartender described it, “your grandfather’s basement.” It serves an eclectic bunch of folks, who might only have in common their appreciation for a good pizza, some bourbon and a space quiet enough to talk. Great for a first or hundredth date. Closes at 10 p.m. on weekdays, and 11 p.m. weekends, so get there early. 914 Regent St. 

The Mason Lounge

Tucked next to Falbo’s Pizza on South Park Street sits the Mason Lounge, a quirky, ironic, forward-thinking hub of counterculture and creative bohemia. But really, while the Mason’s hipster reputation is well called for, anyone can enjoy an evening here. With a superb draft beer selection at moderate prices, (most are $4.50 to $5.50), served in mason jars (get it?), it’s a cozy site to meet up with an old friend. The decorations are unexpected to say the least—a chicken is caged above the  bar, some neck ties hang on the wall and the bathroom door is connected to a string holding a Barbie, letting you know when someone enters. The furniture probably looked great in your great-grandma’s parlor. Hungry? A handful of bar snacks are available, but if you’re hungry for more, you can order Falbo’s from the bar. Tuesday is jazz. Wednesday bluegrass. This neighborhood bar is a west-side staple. 416 S. Park St. 

Brocach

Brocach, which is Gaelic for “badger’s den,”  is the closest thing to an actual Irish bar in Madison. It may not be the real thing, but it does a great job compared to most, offering a ton of quality Irish whiskeys that are at a special price more often than not. There is also live Irish music on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays, where they cram the band in a corner close to the bar, making for a lively atmosphere. The upstairs area is a perfect place to rent out and host a birthday party or any other celebration, with huge lavish couches and your own personal bar. Plus, the Huffington Post rated it as one of the top 10 Irish pubs in America, so that has to count for something. Check out their happy hour, 3 to 6 p.m. everyday. Twenty-ounce pint of Guinness with shot of Powers at $6.75. Three dollars off top shelf Irish scotch and whiskeys. Two dollars off wine glasses, $5.50 Stoli Doli and $1 Murphy pints. 7 W. Main St and 1843 Monroe St. 

Amy's Cafe

Amy’s Café & Bar is the kind of place your older siblings would take you to when they come to visit. Actually, my sister did just that when she came a few weeks ago, and it has since become one of my favorite places to spend a casual evening. 

The bar boasts some tasty cocktails such as the “Black Cherry Daisy” and “Bourbon Peach,” as well as $6 pitchers of PBR on Friday and Saturday. What’s most notable though is its dark, cozy atmosphere. You’ll find an older crowd and less dancing, so Amy’s is the perfect place to catch up with an old friend. Kind of like MacLaren’s from “How I Met Your Mother,” this bar is to call your place.  414 W. Gilman St. 

Essen Haus

“Noch ein Bier, bitte” is something you won’t have to say many times at the German-themed Essen Haus. Just two liter-sized, pitch-black beers will get you pretty buzzed. Trust us.  

Once you see all the employees dressed in lederhosen and a hoard of booze-happy patrons dancing to a live polka band, you will know Essen Haus is a place to spend some (or all) of your quality time. And if you haven’t experienced the majesty of this oft-overlooked location for yourself, now is the perfect opportunity. Oktoberfest has just begun!Essen Haus is the largest seller of German tap beers in the country, with 16 on tap. If  you want to drink a beer that’s both strong and ripe with dark deliciousness, we recommend a liter of Spaten Optimator. And if you’re into Sauerbraten and pickled cabbage, eat here too. Try your hand at das boot game, where patrons must follow six traditions when drinking out of  boot-shaped glasses, such as, “das boot must never be set on the table” and “das boot should be drank with the toe pointed up.” 514 E. Wilson St.

Genna's 

Genna’s, an eclectic bar tucked away in a corner of Capitol Square, is a hidden gem to most UW-Madison students. But with excellent cocktails and beers, a well-stocked jukebox and a clientele ripe with grad-student co-eds, we see no reason why it should remain in the shadows. Genna’s has a lived-in comfort to it; it feels like a raucous living room where good friends meet after hard days of work and study. The most popular time to visit seems to be during happy hour, when drinks are 40 percent off, or on the third Thursday of every month for the Urban Spoken Word Poetry Slam. There’s even a cozy patio waiting for those who visit before the chill sets in. 105 W. Main St.

Natt Spil

While it’s a bit of a hike from campus to get to Natt Spil (and you will likely never be able to find it the first few time you try), this bar located directly next to the Great Dane, is well worth the trek. If you’re looking for a less noisy, charmingly unique atmosphere for a small get together or romantic evening,  Natt Spil provides it. It’s Chinese empire meets hobbit hole. The back room acts like a small hideaway where you can chat underneath a wonderful portrait of a very wise looking old woman and drink on tree-trunk stools. On weekends they do have a DJ, but the place is usually too small to cater to the more hoppy crowd.  They have some dim sum specialties, and if you get there early enough, try some of the house-made pizzas. They’re unique and delicious as the wide variety of drinks they offer, such as their Green Thumb, a gin-cucumber masterpiece that’s easy on all the senses. They have no sign on the outside, so all the luck in search for it. 211 King St.

The Cardinal Bar

In addition to sharing a partial namesake with this publication, The Cardinal is the place to be for some music and dance, any kind of dance. EDM, latin and jazz are performed live at The Cardinal on most nights, and when the DJs come out, all of the crazy lights come on. There’s actually a disco ball. It looks like something straight out of a movie. That may sound cheesy, but The Cardinal Bar is an O.G. Madison night spot, and the first dance club in the city dating back to 1976. It also has plenty of 18+ events, so it’s a great option if you aren’t of age and tired of the basement party scene. Come Thursday for College Night, 18+ and no cover with a student ID, for some Latin jams. 418 E. Wilson St. 

Cooper's Tavern

Why travel the world when you can drink just down the street? Cooper’s Tavern is one of a kind. Owner Peter McElvanna, an Ireland native, opened up the gastropub in 2010, creating something between the typical college bar and the old supper club. McElvanna, who has done his own share of traveling, has given the tavern an international flavor. With a beer list four pages long, many of which hail from Scotland and Belgium, it’s no surprise Cooper’s is a haven for beer enthusiasts. And some of their options you just can’t find anywhere else. For instance, Cooper’s is the only bar in the central time zone to have the Weihenstephaner Vitus, a wheat beer from Freiburg, Germany. Their food, sourced from local farms, is well though-out. Poutine, a gooey agglomeration of French fries, cheese curds and gravy, hails from Quebec. 

While it can get quite packed on a weekend, Cooper’s recently opened a second floor they use for overflow when there’s not a private event. If you’re lucky you might get a spot in the snug, an enclosed, cozy space in the back that’s traditional in Ireland taverns. McElvanna invites students to “come and have a flavor explosion!” There’s something for everyone (even for those with gluten intolerance), from light lagers and pilsners to oatmeal stouts and scotch ales. If you’re not ready to commit to one, no fear. Sample away. While most of their business is beer, Cooper’s features fall cocktail specials—hot toddies, Tom and Jerrys, and a s’more-flavored vodka concoction to name a few.