Madison police sergeant recognizes colleagues for ‘compassion and empathy’

Madison Police Department Sergeant Jason Sweeney commended two downtown patrol officers “for the compassion and empathy” they showed to a struggling homeless family sleeping on State Street Sunday morning, according to a police report.

A passerby reported to a police officer that he heard a child cry from beneath what looked like a pile of blankets, which is not an uncommon sight on State Street, according to the report. Upon investigation, the police officer discovered a huddled family of six children and four adults.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the family described to the officer their recent escape from the South Side of Chicago, “where a lot of shootings and deaths were occurring … it was just too dangerous to stay.” Another officer was contacted, and the officers began seeking sources of help.

The First United Methodist, Second Baptist and Community of Hope Churches immediately offered food or money for hotel stays. According to the report, one of the family members “choked up and had difficulty expressing himself.”

Impressed with the officers’ efforts, Sgt. Sweeney submitted a report recognizing the officers, explaining that the family could have been left as they were with no harm done but “provided reprieve from the unpleasant reality [of] their current situation … [this] has shattered how this family sees the police.”

The first responding officer reported that although the family’s future is uncertain, the adults are currently seeking work, the family is “away from the bullets” and has a much better chance because of the dedication of the MPD and an equally caring community.