Tavern Safety Training_9/26/13

Madison bar owners learn new safety tactics

Local alcohol and law enforcement officials informed bar owners and employees about how to better protect their patrons and staff at the biannual Tavern Safety Training Wednesday, which focused on fire safety and the effectiveness of the Central Community Policing Team.

Madison Fire Department officer Scott Strassburg described how bar owners and employees can proactively save lives in emergency situations by keeping exits clear and not over-crowding buildings. Strassburg also encouraged owners to keep patrons calm and avoid dangerous congestion by directing customers to different exits during a crisis.

Madison Police Department Sgt. Scott Kleinfeldt explained how the Downtown Safety Initiative brought in additional police resources to address specific issues, such as facilitating undercover stings, investigating more crimes and deterring loiterers. The increase in numbers and visibility of officers has been effective at reducing violence, according to city Food and Alcohol Policy Coordinator Mark Woulf.

Kleinfeldt responded to attendees’ concerns about the speed with which police officers can arrive at the scene by reminding staff to call 911 immediately in unsafe or quickly escalating situations.

Officials leading the training also suggested bar owners implement cover and water charges to address the problem of loitering, which is protected by law.

A Department of City Rights representative said bars should avoid confusion by clearly posting policies in regards to the Equal Opportunities Ordinance, which says patrons of any business cannot be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender or religion.

Woulf concluded that he was pleased with the attendance and content of the meeting.

“Bars are acutely aware of some of those issues that they’ve had and have been proactive on their own,” Woulf said.