Department of Justice releases Capitol protesters’ personal information during legal proceedings

A group of protesters are raising concerns after the state Department of Justice released the personal information of numerous protesters who have challenged citations they received while participating in controversial sing-along protests at the state Capitol.

The protesters largely belong to a group called the Solidarity Singers, who assemble in the Capitol rotunda to protest Gov. Scott Walker. During the Singers’ protests, Capitol Police officers have repeatedly issued the protesters citations for violating an administrative rule that currently prohibits groups of 20 or more to assemble without a permit.

The concern with the released private information began after several protesters brought their citations to court, arguing they should be allowed to assemble under the First Amendment. In preparation for the legal proceedings, the DOJ, representing the state in the proceedings, released lists of protesters’ personal information, including some protesters’ social security numbers and driver’s licenses, to the protesters challenging their citations.

The state government has intervened in the past to protect people’s information after similar leaks.