Grey Satterfield

Column: MLB’s playoff format is the wrong way to end the season

In 1994, MLB announced that a wild card would come with an expanded league format and for the next 17 seasons, four teams from each league would have a shot at claiming the World Series.

This was a great expansion that was abysmally ruined in 2011 with the addition of a second wild card team.

In this new expanded format, the top two teams in the wild card standings will have a one game-playoff. This is the worst part of baseball right now.

Last year was the first year of this new rule, and not to twist the knife into the back of the Braves, but let’s just rehash what went down at Turner Field in Atlanta.

The Braves finished the year 94-68, the St. Louis Cardinals finished the year 88-74. Under the new format, there was a one-game-playoff and what happened next was, depending on where you’re from, either the luckiest win ever, or a vomit inducing stomach punch.

To recap, a questionable, some say nightmarish infield fly call ended the Braves 94-win campaign and propelled the cardinals to a NLCS appearance. One game, one blown call, one ruined season.

Baseball is a slow game. At-bats take forever, games take forever, seasons take forever.

The 162 game season is designed to show which teams can have long-term, sustained success. Does a sudden-death game make any sense?

This year the Cincinnati Reds, Pittsburgh Pirates, and St. Louis Cardinals are all competing for the NL Central crown. For the purpose of this column, assume the two game lead the Cardinals cling to stays for the last week of the season.

Now, call it a scheduling fluke, or just bad luck, but the Reds and the Pirates have a three game series at the end of this week. Because of the new wild card format, this series is essentially useless.

Here’s the worst case scenario: The Reds sweep the Pirates and finish three games ahead in the standings. The Pirates win the one-game-playoff and end the Reds’ season. It would be a travesty if the Reds win three out of four games and don’t advance in the playoffs. How is that a possibility?

Here’s the best case scenario: The Reds and Pirates finish the season tied in the standings and whichever team holds a better head-to-head record will host the play-in game. As of today the teams are tied 8-8 so the series winner this weekend will host the game.

But a true, tie-breaking game 163 is the only way to remedy this mess.

Game 163 is a fun nugget at the end of the season, but only when it is warranted. In 2007 the Colorado Rockies beat the San Diego Padres 9-8 in extra innings in a thrilling game. But that doesn’t justify having it in both leagues every year.

Playoff expansion might seem like a good idea, but it’s a cautionary tale. How long will it take before MLB becomes the NBA and allows sub-.500 teams, and over half the league into a bloated playoff?

The playoffs are one of the best parts of sports, but the more the merrier might not always apply. Let’s hope this weekends Reds-Pirates series and potential play-in game doesn’t leave MLB in as much hot water as last year.

Do you like the MLB playoff system? Is it a good way to end the season? Let Grey know what you think by sending him an email at sports@dailycardinal.com.