'Closed Circuit' lacks an electrifying plot line

I don’t like movies about government conspiracies. Every time I see a film wherein a modern-day government (or a body within that government) is depicted as the antagonist, my immediate thought is, “Why the heck would this government allow somebody to make a movie wherein they are depicted as the antagonists?” Perhaps there’s a form of subtle commentary there that I’m not seeing. But regardless, it’s a reliable way to completely disintegrate my willing suspension of disbelief.

Obviously, I have just spoiled the major plot twist of “Closed Circuit,” so now you don’t have to go to a cinema to watch it. You’re welcome. It’s a mawkish, disorganized and unfocused film that is only made watchable by virtue of it being embarrassingly well-acted. Typically, enjoying the chemistry of a good cast might be enough to call “Closed Circuit” a decent flick, but the ideas that it wants to play with are the real meat of the story. “Closed Circuit” fumbles these so badly that not even Jim Broadbent’s delicious malignity as the corrupt, soft-spoken attorney general can salvage it from the turgid waters of banality.

“Closed Circuit” is one of those infuriating movies that try to tug the heartstrings with a shoddy narrative framework whilst ignoring the real questions being raised by its themes. The major question being asked seems to be one of judicial power’s corruption and the regulation thereof, but the film never explicitly ties anything relevant to this otherwise important issue.

The narrative’s main focus is on Claudia Simmons-Howe and Martin Rose—played by Rebecca Hall and Eric Bana—as ex-lovers and lawyers, defending a man accused of bombing a crowded London market. And throughout a likewise predictable plot, the movie seems much more interested in their past affair rather than making any kind of thoughtful commentary on the events unfolding. While it is fun to see the actors enjoying themselves, the roles they fill are empty—without any thematic meaning tied to them.

At its core, the problem with the film’s narrative is not a thematic one or even a structural one. What bothers me is that the film is so bloody predictable. I was never once surprised or interested at the characters’ revelations because I saw them coming. “Oh no, we’re being monitored!” Uh, duh. “Oh, no! MI6 was paying the terrorists!” Yep, we’ve got a masterful screenwriter working his magic back here. “OH, NO! THEY’RE COMING TO KILL US!” For Pete’s sake… All the built-up tension was lost because everybody was dancing to an old song so overplayed it gets in the way of some very fine acting and cinematography.

And then there’s the ending. Needless to say, we’re re-entering spoiler town now, so bail if you still insist on seeing this movie. By the time the two lawyers have gotten their evidence to the court and are ready to bring the justice system crashing down around its own alabaster columns, the attorney general already had their client murdered and his death framed as a suicide.

Whilst this might seem like a gutsy and original play to some moviegoers, it really isn’t. It was another event bound to happen. The antagonists already established their willingness to murder lawyers, journalists and even children to keep their secrets under wraps. Why wouldn’t they kill a guy they had sitting around in a cramped, padlocked cell to render the protagonists’ efforts moot? MI6 isn’t about to be toppled in a day by two uppity defense attorneys and a kid from Turkey. They’re a little bit more competent than that. It bothers me this ending is becoming a staple of government conspiracy cover-up thrillers. You know why I liked the movie “Eagle Eye”? Because it was as far removed from pretentious realism and it still had something to talk about.

“Closed Circuit” isn’t a bad film, but it’s not a good one either. It tries to be an interesting and thought-provoking drama, and succeeds only at ripping off a bleached, monochromatic aesthetic from the BBC’s “Sherlock.” Perhaps if you don’t care about any of that, you’ll get some enjoyment out of the film. Otherwise, wait until “The Fifth Estate” comes out.