Melvin Gordon

Badger running game faces toughest test yet at Ohio State

A heated rivalry continues when No. 23 Wisconsin (1-0 Big Ten, 3-1 overall) gears up for a road trip to Columbus, Ohio to play undefeated No. 4 Ohio State (4-0) Saturday.

This will be the Buckeyes’ first Big Ten game of the year.

The Badgers have been Big Ten conference champions for three years running. Last year, the Buckeyes went undefeated but were ineligible for a bowl game.

Senior running back James White is currently the NCAA’s active career rushing leader. In combination with redshirt sophomore running back Melvin Gordon and freshman running back Corey Clement, the Badgers have a formidable running game.

Gordon is currently leading Wisconsin in all-purpose yards averaging 156 rushing yards-pergame and also has seven touchdowns. White is close behind, averaging 139 yards this season.

The Buckeyes’ defensive line will have a challenge awaiting for them come Saturday night.

Sophomore defensive lineman Adolphus Washington was out last week due to a groin injury.

Ohio State defensive line coach Mike Vrabel has a young unit that was able to shut out Florida A&M and hold San Diego State to one touchdown a couple weeks earlier.

“I think for their defense, they want to obviously stack up and stop the run,” said head coach Gary Andersen. “So I think our run game may help us get another safety out of the box. People are going to build an eight man box against us, a nine man box against us. That’s the way it’s going to be. It will be no different with Ohio State.”

The Badgers’ offensive line will have no easy time Saturday night, especially with redshirt junior center Dallas Lewallen injured. Wisconsin has had some troubles with smooth snaps so far this season. Chemistry between redshirt sophomore quarterback Joel Stave and his new center, redshirt freshman Dan Voltz will be tested.

“Make sure you’re smart with who is in there; every guy is a little bit different,” said Stave. “I think whoever we’ve got in there will do a good job.”

Wisconsin will look to pass the ball more against the Buckeyes. Typically known as a running team, the Badgers still have a strong passing threat. Redshirt senior wide receiver Jared Abbrederis has 365 receiving yards this season and is averaging almost 16 yards-per-reception.

Wisconsin redshirt senior tight end Jacob Pedersen is currently injured, but Andersen is confident that they have the personnel to fill the spot.

“Woz [redshirt senior tight end Brian Wozniak] has been very good at the point of attack,” said Andersen. “He’s been physical. He’s done what we’ve asked him to do in the run game and been very good at that. I like where he’s gone.”