All running smoothly on the Factory Floor

It’s been worth waiting three years for Factory Floor to release a new album. Their new self-titled album, Factory Floor, embodies a style we haven’t seen from the electronic trio. Known primarily for being a noise and post-punk band, their new record sets the tone of a futuristic disco with its retro drum machine kicks, distorted vocals and pulsating rhythms. Though repetitive, the album’s intensity amplifies with each track, making it an electrifying listen.

The title track, “Turn It Up,” sets the tone of the album’s upbeat yet unsettling style. Primarily a dance album, the title track is nothing impressive. It drones on with predictable drum loops and repetitive synth. After a while, you find yourself wondering if you’re listening to the same 30 seconds on repeat. Track by track, however, the beat quickens, revitalizing the album with constant energy. The record picks up pace with “Fall Back,” which was first released as a single, giving it character with its haunting words and digitalized rhythm. The final two tracks, “Work Out” and “Breathe In,” end the album on a mischievous, sultry note, and bring forward the volatile funk heard at the album’s onset.

Perhaps the greatest thing about the album is the potential it has as a live set. Factory Floor’s experimental nature separates it from the pre-programmed playlists and predictable bass drops currently dominating the club scene. There’s no point in trying to replicate their live sound on record, especially since this new release leaves much room for improvisation. The tumultuous sound of the album allows for a reactive live performance. Overall, through their unique and systematic beats, Factory Floor has created an album worth listening to on all avenues.

Rating: B