Meningitis

University of Wisconsin-Madison student Henry Mackaman co-founded his band, the Twin Cities-based Phantom Vibration, for which he played guitar and produced music.

UW student dies of bacterial meningitis

University of Wisconsin-Madison senior Henry Mackaman died Thursday as a result of meningococcal disease, according to Dean of Students Lori Berquam.

Mackaman was hospitalized earlier in the week after being diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. Mackaman’s family took him off life support Thursday, and plans to donate his organs to other patients in need.

Mackaman, originally from St. Paul, Minn., was an English and economics major at the university. He was well known among students for his kindness and love of music, according to Berquam. She added Mackaman was a DJ for WSUM Radio and co-founded his band Phantom Vibration.

“He loved being a Badger and he loved going to school here,” Berquam said. “He really created and forged some great friendships here and I know that those mattered to him. He made people feel good in his presence.”

According to his CaringBridge site, Mackaman will be able to donate his organs to 54 patients.

“That’s a sentiment of great comfort to his family,” Berquam said. “His gift of life will help others to live a better life.”

Two other UW-Madison students have died from the disease in recent years, Tommy Kuehn in January 2011 and Neha Suri in February 2010.

Meningococcal disease is a specific type of bacterial meningitis, which causes the lining of the brain and spinal cord to swell. It can cause a healthy person to become severely ill in a matter of hours.

Despite the disease’s severity, University Health Services Director Sarah Van Orman said it is not easily transmitted between people and students are not at a heightened risk of contracting it. The disease requires the transmission of saliva to be spread, such as by sharing cups or utensils and kissing.

UW-Madison students in need of support or counseling should contact University Health Services. UHS offers drop-in counseling hours from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students can also call the 24-hour UHS crisis line at 608-265-5600, option 9.